This icing is a perfect pair with the sugar cookie recipe I have posted. The icing dries hard on the outside but stays a bit soft on the inside. It does not dry super hard, which is nice for those with sensitive teeth. This takes about 10 minutes to make.
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 beaten egg whites
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Sift the confectioners' sugar and cream of tartar together
- Beat the two egg whites then add the almond extract
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg white mixture with the dry mixture until it's the consistency you like, about 2-5 minutes. I didn't mix mine too long, maybe 2 minutes.
- Put the icing in a bag and snip the end or use a confectioner bag with a tip.
The icing can be colored if desired. I would recommend using a gel color like the kind used for cake frosting.
Yields enough for about 40 cookies